And Internet and social networks have upset the expectations and behaviors of the customers. The customers now prefers to conduct his own buying and does not appreciate the commercial solicitations that never fall at the right time.
To meet this challenge, you must put in place a relevant Inbound Marketing strategy whose educational and persuasive content will be the central element.
The goal here is twofold:
• Attract the buyer’s attention when searching the Internet.
• Nourish your purchase thinking to bring it to maturity.
Some essential keys to succeed your charm operation with Marketing Automation are :
Key # 1: Understanding Customer Behavior
Integrating the notion of customers behavior in a broad sense into your strategy is a fundamental one you cannot escape. When we talk about « behavior » we mean the knowledge of who the target prospect is, what motivates them and how they act in their buying decision.
In this regard, the B2B purchasing process has largely changed in recent years due to a deep need of prospects to understand the information given to them before calling on a sales representative.
There are the 3 stages of the customer journey, which break down as follows:
- Discovery of my need: « I am aware of my problem and I am looking for a solution »,
- Consideration: « I know how to name the different solutions and I compare them »,
- Decision: « I make sure of the seriousness of the seller before ordering ».
Key # 2: Define Targeted and Measurable Objectives
We recommend that you work on your marketing automation goals with an additional level of detail.
A targeted and measurable goal is made to address it by focusing on:
- It is attached to your roadmap (overall strategy)
- It communicates clearly the result to be achieved (who, what, how much, when)
- It allows you to determine the best method to achieve it
- It tells you when it is reached
Our preferred method (and the one we use) to set goals is the mnemonic SMART objectives, for: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound.
Key # 3: Align the marketing team with the sales team
If one of the goals of marketing automation is to improve productivity, it also aims primarily to generate qualified leads for sales, through a consistent and synergistic purchasing path.
A flattening of the criteria of qualification is thus often more than necessary to agree on the definition of the prospect and the ideal customer. Ask questions about:
- The inclusive and exclusive criteria of a contact to be considered qualified prospect (or not)
- What is a lead from the point of view of sales and marketing?
- What are the triggers for a lead-to-prospect contact? From prospect to qualified prospect ?
At the end of your Marketing Automation campaign, we strongly recommend that you analyze your performance. You no longer have an excuse not to do so since your Marketing Automation tool will automatically generate reporting for your entire campaign.